Thursday, August 31, 2006

Call out of the blue

I just spoke with Dan from NY. We had a good conversation about Internet ideas and doing fun things with the new wave of web opportunities. Dan told me about his idea (no one steal it) to create a lunch meet web application for his college. Basically, if you're not in class, maybe you can find out about someone you'd like to talk to, and join them for lunch. Cool. Maybe I could have a quick lunch with someone who is in Biology one year ahead of me. Maybe I can pick their brain about how to do better in some killer courses.

I can have lunch with some people who want to play ultimate frisbee on Sunday afternoon. I can have lunch with someone who took that film class, and see if I should take it too. I can have lunch with someone who would like to learn about and possibly help me with a cool web app for bringing hungry like minded students together.

I was pleased to get a call request after so long, b/c this experiment basically died down after the first two days. I kind of was scared of it getting out of control, and it didn't. But now part of me wishes it had grown. I'm just so pleased that I got to talk to some interesting people that I would never normally have had a chance to speak with. I'm also glad that I was able to help in the act of reaching out to someone. Just to chat. All our barriers are imaginary.

Well, Dan may be the last person I speak to through this. It was fun doing this, and I definitely have to say, that even in its small scale, this was a positive and successful experiment, given that I started it in less than an hour. I have many more 'silly ideas', and I plan to play with them for some time. Unless I have more people to call.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home