Saturday, August 19, 2006

International Calls

Scotland? Bangkok? Germany? Just some of the countries I'm getting emails from. This is going to start costing me. But you know what, it's worth it. I've been enjoying talking to people here in the US, it'll be just as fun to speak with someone abroad. And I like traveling and haven't been in so long. So if I want to go to Bangkok I can ask the other person what it's like.

Myshele from Scotland was way cool and nice to talk to. We talked about traveling and how she loves Scotland. And then I checked out her website and was able to put a face to the voice.

Michael from Jordan was also a great chat. He even offered to reimburse me (via paypal) for calling him. I didn't know you could just send someone money like that. Check out Michael's essays, we talked about one in which he says friendships lose value with the Internet. Like, being able to connect with anyone means friendship is everywhere. So their value is diluted. I suppose that's true. However, my real friends have never changed for over 10 years now. Other people are more just acquaintances. Anyways, too philosophical.

Ok, time to make some more calls.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lucent said...

It was good talking to you. I would've liked to have talked longer, but 1) I was at a family gathering and 2) felt bad about you paying an unknown bill. When you get the phone bill send me an e-mail with your PayPal address.

A fascinating experiment, and I think it proves one of my points as well about how many people could potentially be friends. I talk about this here: http://essays.dayah.com/nice-shirt

I'll be interested to hear what generalizations and insights you come up with after a few days of calling around the world.

8/22/2006 4:43 PM  
Blogger ThaiTai said...

Marc from Bangkok here. It was great to hear from you, even if your first call was at midnight my time and I was asleep! But we did manage to connect early the next morning and spend an interesting 20 minutes discussing life, the universe and the meaning of life.

Thanks for connecting. You have an interesting idea.

8/24/2006 5:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home